Breef is seeking an Engineering Manager to join our dynamic, fast growing team. This individual will be responsible for leading technical innovation and the management of a hybrid / in-house engineering team.
You will be responsible for establishing the structure and sustained success of Breef’s technical foundation, including leading Breef’s engineering team both internally and externally. You will partner closely with the larger product team to implement Breef’s product roadmap, hone Agile engineering processes, and build and develop a rockstar team. You’ll ensure that Breef’s technology drives best practices and innovation — ultimately shaping the marketing industry at large.
The ideal candidate understands and embraces the fast-paced nature of a startup, as they’ve found success in that environment previously. They also have the ability to translate complex technical concepts and communicate with a broad group of non-technical stakeholders. The ideal candidate drives decisions, and can also act as an individual contributor when necessary, especially as we scale our engineering team. Most importantly, they understand how to build delightful customer experiences, and prioritize balancing the customer’s experience with internal technical needs in their execution of tasks.
About Us - Breef is the world's first agency marketplace and payments solution. As the modern outsourcing platform, we connect leading brands with leading agencies for all digital and creative needs. Our product is changing the future of work and is a first-of-its-kind solution for high-value transactions online.
Your day-to-day responsibilities:
- Manage and grow the Breef engineering team, working with our recruiting team on hiring roadmap, needs, vetting and onboarding of our ‘dream team’
- Lead a team of entrepreneurial engineers to build web-based systems that are at the core of the Breef platform
- Spend approximately 25% of your time “in the weeds” — understanding the ‘ins & outs’ of our code, jumping into Python on the backend and React on the frontend as needed
- Manage and collaborate with our external development team to inform the how and why of every sprint
- Architect and build high-value features and product offerings that drive growth and build Breef’s moat
- Partner closely with key stakeholders across Breef, including Design, Product, Operations and Leadership
- Remove project or team roadblocks and respond to and prioritize requests from the larger team
- Lead, own and evolve the engineering policies, processes and procedures in alignment with Agile best practices, and whatever you deem necessary to maintain the health and integrity of Breef’s engineering org
- Advise with leadership on key technical decisions; act as a translator between technical third parties and Breef
You’ll be successful in this role if you have:
- 8+ years experience as a full-stack software engineer (Python & React)
- 3+ years leading, managing and hiring engineering teams
- Experience managing an engineering team of 3+ direct reports
- Experience as an engineering leader as well as a hands-on contributor
- Experience owning software development life cycles and driving technical projects
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- A general understanding of the marketing and agency space
- Prior marketplace or fintech / payments experience a plus
- Bonus: DevOps experience
You’ll be successful in this role if you are:
- Entrepreneurial. You’re a proactive thinker who is excited to think through problems at a macro level and then roll your sleeves up and execute at the micro level, helping the whole company move faster and build better
- You are first and foremost an engineer, passionate about software craftsmanship
- Craving end-to-end ownership and an opportunity to define your career by shaping an engineering org
- Passionate for the end-user. You’re constantly working to provide the best experience for our customers
- A self-starter. Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and able to handle ambiguity
- Family and team-like environment
- Salary range between $150K-$200K (depending on experience)
- Equity in a fast-growth startup
- Opportunity for extreme growth and ownership within the organization
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Generous vacation and hybrid work policy
Breef is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.